Today, October 1st, is the first day of the 4th quarter of the calendar year and the 4th quarter of the fiscal year for many of us. In September, the Association of Fundraising Professionals reported that in 2019, giving as measured by every metric was down. Compared with the first half of 2018, giving in the first half of this year was :
- Overall dollars raised: Down 7.3%
- Number of donors: Down 5.8%
- Gifts of $1k or more: Down 8.2%
- Gifts of $250 – $999: Down 3.5%
This puts enormous pressure on the end of the year. So what can you do to ensure your year finishes strong? I’ve pulled together a collection of some of my best advice from prior blogs to help guide you to success:
- Make a gift chart of your end of year goal: This will help you get clear about your goal and what you need to do to reach it.
- Get Your Website Company Ready: People are going to visit you online when considering an end of year gift. Make sure your website is ready.
- Prepare your board for #GivingTuesday Success: Here are some specific things you can do to help your board be effective #GT ambassadors.
- Identify the heart-tugging story you will use in your end of year appeals: Make sure you have a good story to tell at the end of the year.
Finally, don’t give up. My mom is one of the most determined people I know. She didn’t go to college until I was in middle school. By the time I graduated from high school, she had 3 college degrees. Her words always echo in my head: “Can’t Never Could!” Don’t think “can’t” because you can!